Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fourth of July

Everyone knows these things are true, and instead of arguing why everyone should be equal, he argues how they are not equal. He spends so much time talking about them to emphasize how these things were not true at the time. Then after that, he tells stories of slave trade that are so vivid that the statements that are agreed upon by all now seem silly. It even sort of makes the reader ashamed that they agreed with these statements when it is so obvious that at the time they were false.

2 comments:

BrittG said...

I agree that Douglass is trying to make the reader feel guilty. I felt very guilty, I guess for the fact that I am white and I had never actually thought of the fourth of July in his aspect. I do not know how many people do think of it as: Americans celebrating while others feel that it is a mockery to their ansestors.
Douglass does a wonderful job at showing his side of the argument. By not arguing the things that you would think he would makes his oration seem so much better. This was beyond the norm of an argument.

mjjones said...

I totally agree with what you said right here. I think you hit right on the dot on this issue and I think you did a very good job answering this question.