Thursday, August 23, 2007

Gabby A Small Place

While reading this essay I was almost in disbelief, because as sad as it sounds, this essay is quite accurate. I think the thing that had the most impact of me was when I started reading about the rain. It's so true that whenever someone goes on vacation to some place like Antigua, (tropical and hot) if it rains people are always so upset about it. I know I for one have been upset before if it rains on my vacation, I'm sure I have even said the rain was ruining my vacation. When the author was talking about how a tourist might be upset about the rain because it was ruining vacation plans, the locals however are more than likely ecstatic because they have been needing rain for a long time. I had never thought of it like that before. I think a lot of times, people take things for granted, and when we go on vacations to places like Antigua, we are there to enjoy ourselves, but probably more than likely don't stop to think that people live there on a day to day basis, and have issues and problems just like we do at our home. All in all I think this story is a very good eye opening story, I know it made me think differently about the whole vacation experience.

-Gabby Henskens

2 comments:

schwewa said...

I completely agree that it changed my view about vacations. Although I have not been anywhere tropical like Antigua, I would be the same way about the rain. I would complain and whine about it. The story was depressing, I will also see things a bit differently.

jknox said...

Gabby,

I really like your idea of how people on vacation really take their experience for granted while they don't even see the hardships around them. I think that tourists are too busy trying to have a good time, that they close themselves off from their surroundings. I think people use vacation as an excuse to escape from their troubles. What people sometimes fail to understand is that problems are universal and happen all over the world in every society.

-Jeremiah Knox