Thursday, August 23, 2007

Malcolm small place

At the very beginning of the story Kincaid, begins to talk about all the new images he sees. He talks about how the sun is always shining and dry, which we dont get in America, (or Europe). The way he describes the taxi driver gives us the readers a real view of how he experienced the driver driving and how if you lived somewhere like New York you'd already have a picture of how they worked. Then how he goes on and on about the other tourists and the colors of the ocean really creates a picture in the mind that you cant really appreciate unless you see it yourself.

Matt, I loved your blog, but I dont understand why you didnt use any of the visual images he gave like the colors of the ocean or the native he talked about on the beach. Everyone else talked about the airport, and getting off seeing the new land. You see new land off every airport, instead I think you guys couldve focused, on the people, how they looked, how they acted. Or also talk about the fact that the experience he couldnt get in the country. Thats just my opinion, so what do I know.

1 comment:

Matt P said...

I agree with you completely Malcolm, i do see your point about the ocean and beach setting, but i do have to say that i have experienced that myself. I wanted to try to put myself in the eyes of the author and try to understand her point of view, rather then write about something i have already experienced. But i do have to say you were dead on the mark when you stated that people who live in somewhere like New York, have experienced the intense driving of tax drivers, and they are not surprised when arriving at Antigua and having the same type of driver.