Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Travelogue of Hameed

In The Travelogue of an Astronomer, I think Hameed does a wonderful job of explaining his surroundings on the island. I think that in this case, it was more important for him to explain the island's atmosphere rather than what he was actually doing, looking at the stars. Because of his vivid descriptions of the island, the reader actually feels like they are there along side of Hameed living in the moment as well. I think that Hameed does a great job of describing in detail how the island looks. I think he includes so much history about the island because by doing so it makes the reader appreciate the lifestyle of the island. I dont think it was necessary for him to describe the actual star gazing so much, because by describing the island's atmosphere the reader already had a feeling of what it would be like to be there star gazing.

3 comments:

Kwiles said...

I agree I think he did a great job of explain the island. I also think it makes the reader appreciate the island with himm telling the history and all of the little details. I don't think he needed to talk much about the stars for the reader to understand.

jknox said...

I agree.I think that Hameed's description of the history of La Palma really gives the reader a better understanding of the island as if they were there. I also think that Hameed's historical accounts gives the reader a slight idea of what kind of culture there is on the island. There seems to be a lot of British influence on the islands because it was a naval port for the British. Hameed also says that even though the islands are so remote, their main industry is tourism.

mjjones said...

I like what you wrote here. He basically painted a picture of the night for us by telling about the island and you seemed to capture that in your paragraph. I really liked your response.